Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  6:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenor hogs (was: silence of the lambs (errr... list))

Tako Oda wrote:

> In vocalist-temporary@y..., John Link <vocalist-temporary@y..., John Link < > > classify David Daniels?
>
> I'd probably say medium-lyric countertenor. I think he generally bills
> himself as countertenor. Male alto as a Met listing seems kind of
> funny, since his range is more that of a mezzo (roles like Sesto and
> Nireno). To each his own, I guess!

I wonder about that. When I heard Michael Maniacci sing
Nerone at Wolf Trap last summer, he was billed as a
"sopranist". His voice was higher than any countertenor
I've ever heard (I seem to recall his bio saying he'd sung
Cherubino, for example). He's singing the same role at
Houston this season, and I recall someone writing on the
opera list that that he's billed there as a male alto. So
the opera house may have something to do with what the
singer is called. Maybe they think the audience will be
less startled if they know from the outset the singer is a
male, and think that a male alto billing sounds less
forbidding to the untutored than a male soprano?

Peggy

--
mailto:
peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10106 Re: Countertenor hogs (was: silence of the lambs Margaret Harrison   Sat  3/10/2001   3 KB

emusic.com