Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 8, 2001  10:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] students with pitch problems

In a message dated 3/8/01 12:30:47 PM, DCLARK@r... writes:

<< In my experience, problems with matching pitches are almost always a
problem
of coordination between what the ear hears (usually correct) and what the
vocal instrument can produce (usually undeveloped). >>

That's been my experience, too, Diane. Students who have less
singing/listening experience have more trouble with this. But, over time, if
both teacher and student are patient and persistent in practice, the range
that the student can both hear and match generally widens. Unless there is
some inherent "mental hearing" problem, the student should improve
eventually. This is slow, however. I have a young student (9th grade
female) who could match only those pitches within a narrow range (4th) a year
ago, but who can match most anything within a 9th now (she sings alto because
the pitches she was first able to match are in that range). If the alto
parts stay within her functional range, she can hold her own part in harmony.
That tells me it is not her ear, nor her voice and vocal folds, but rather
lack of experience, that is the problem.

By the way: *This is similar to the experience some boys have at the voice
"breaking" time: their ears hear what it should be, but the vocal folds do
not always cooperate! This problem also improves over time with positive
reinforcement and patience on both the part of teacher and singer.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com