Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Mar 8, 2001  3:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mike's latest snowjob

>reg, as i was saying, only liars have to worry about the tones in their
>voices. . . .

This is an interesting debate. Certainly, I have found that maintaining
the attitude of a moan while producing classical voice helps maintain the
posture while allowing for more facile articulation. I also believe that a
good singer will convey in the voice the emotion that is appropriate. One
of my favorite examples is Maria Callas singing "O mio babbino" where she
sounds like an adolescent girl. In speech, the listener does this without
thinking even if the language is not intelligible. Also, I have found that
producing the voice with the conviction that you believe what you are
saying helps fluency in situations of high stress (e.g., a presentation to
a room full of your peers). If you sound like you are unsure, then the
listeners believe (on some level) that you're fear is because you don't
really know.

Always fun on this list.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com