Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 8, 2001  1:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mike's latest snowjob

In a message dated 3/8/2001 5:29:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

<< Mike I don't get that. If there was no point in touching up our voices,
car salesmen, politicians and other con men would not succeed as well
as they do!!! >>

reg, as i was saying, only liars have to worry about the tones in their
voices. i can only assume you include television evangelists in 'other con
men'.

<>

it doesn't have to be. taking the approach of 'now if it were i, i
would probably say it like this' removes the need to pretend that one is the
character leaving the actor to 'represent' the character rather than
commiting an act of unnecessary delusion. and, in representing the
character, an actor can become quite impassioned in the championing of that
character's intentions.

<<You say, in speech we color our phrases in order to communicate
our message and you label anyone who does this, a liar and deceiver! : )>>

no i don't. in speech we get caught up in what we are saying.
sometimes we express ourselves when we wish we wouldn't. we can come across
as nervous, impatient, depressed, etc. when we might wish to conceal those
emotions. fake smiles, insincere good wishes, compliments to hated rivals,
etc. usually ring false. the expert liar is the liar who manages to obscure
the difference between fact and fiction which allows them the benefits of
truthful expression.

<<Overlooking your contention, that ..... 'we don't hear ourselves
as others hear us', ..... you must be speaking of a "pop" style
where 'originality', is the term used to conceal an artistic refusal
or inability of the performer to adhere to the composer's
intention. : )>>

i haven't a clue how to answer this. i can only assume you have no
idea what i'm talking about.

<<In classical singing the tone, duration and vowel is decided by the
composer and any serious departure from this means that the
performer is not being faithful to the composers intention.

HOWEVER....as I understand your view of singing, anyone who
sticks strictly to the composers intention is being silly and insincere
in not allowing their passionate vocal foibles to override what was
written.>>

i was right, you have missed the point. as you may remember, the
distinctions i make between speech and singing are; a wider range of pitches
is used in singing and, where specific pitches are sustained for specific
durations, it takes longer (generally) to say the words while singing than it
does while speaking.

<<Moaning is what you hear from pop singers and Mr Bush.
Intoning came from the previous guy. : )>>

moaning is a lot closer to what opera singers do than what pop singers
do. where a great many pop singers do something between talk-sing and
yell-sing, the extension of word length that is extreme in operatic singing
more closely resembles extreme moaning. in fact, the greatest stylistic
distintion i make between singing pop and singing opera is more moaning for
opera. btw, the moaning idea is one i got from the late john haber. john
had worked as an assistant to wesley balk at western opera theater and was
the director of the opera dept. at boston university until he left to become
a buddhist monk. sadly, he is dead. he was a great teacher.

the point i have been trying to make concerns tonal quality as a means
of expression. to take advantage of the voice's natural tendencies to
express the 'feelings' of its user is much better than to try to construct
something. we hear roughly 85% of our voices inside our heads. the tone
we hear is further affected by resonance and the muffling by our heads. in
order to color the tone as we'd like it to be presented to our listeners, we
have to supply X, not the tone we want them to hear. and like lying and
fake smiles, it requires constant construction and does not allow for true
inspiration.

<<Reg.>>

it is a comfort to know the teachings of the great professor irwin corey
will be passed on to future generations.

always a treat,
mike

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10037 Re: Mike's latest snowjob Reg Boyle   Fri  3/9/2001   6 KB

emusic.com