Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Carol Spradling" <cspradli@t...>
"Carol Spradling" <cspradli@t...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  12:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What to call myself

Karen, I think you answered your own question, but here is a thought I find
interesting.

Artists who 'call themselves' one thing or another are clearly disregarded
in critical circles. I worked for PolyGram (Decca/London, DG, and Philips
labels) doing press and marketing, so I can tell you that EVERY single one
of Jessye Norman's Philips recordings (and that's most of them) list her as
a soprano - but she is referred to as a mezzo-soprano often and in many
places (including here on Vocalist many times in past threads).

ALL of Cecila Bartoli's recordings list her as a mezzo-soprano - but in one
of my favourite tomes, "Voices: Singers and Critics" by the very
knowlegeable British critic, J.B. Steane, she is referred to as the
quintessential modern-day contralto.

As a contralto, will you now *not* audition for Cherubino or Adalgisa, if
given the chance to play these roles and assuming you don't feel them so
wrong for you as to be harmful... ? As a mezzo you still auditioned for
Dalila and Messiah, right? Are roles even agreed upon as being in one fach
over another by everybody, in this day and age of mezzo Despinas and
Zerlinas?

I remember Chris Thomas talking about a Messiah she was hired for this
Christmas where she found out she'd been hired to sing the soprano arias
(!). Hey Chris, what did you bill yourself as on that program? A soprano?
A mezzo?

Thoughts only - not really an answer.

Carol S.

Carol Ansell Spradling, Mezzo-soprano
Director of Music, St. Augustine's, Syracuse
http://home.twcny.rr.com/spradling